Friday, April 13, 2012

Life is Good...

“Life is good” reads my Dove almond dark chocolate wrapper.  How did they know? “Take advantage of every free moment you have” is my second wrapper.  I try to do that most days.  These fortunes or day brighteners are always positive and uplifting.  Not only does Dove make the best affordable chocolate and the only dark chocolate I like, but this extra touch is kind of a nice touch.

We received some rain today - not really very much but every bit helps.  Yesterday I found and bought my first annuals….Pansies and two hardy Primroses!!!  Finally I can look out my kitchen window and see some pretty colorful faces smiling back at me!

Last week on another windy day, I spotted something in the grass.  When I walked over to see what it was, I discovered a Baltimore Oriole nest had blown down.  I had to show you how interesting it was to see up close.

It is woven so tight that I had a difficult time making a hole in the top
 so I could put the stick through so I could hang it back in the tree.
 I think part of it is made from Honey's hair and some of it is pine needles.
  It is an amazing structure.
According to Stan Tekiela, Birds of Minnesota Field Guide, Orioles are one of the last to arrive in spring (May) and first to leave in fall (September).  They often come back to the same area but it didn’t say if they use the sock-like nest again that the female builds.  She builds them on the end of a branch in a tall tree.


Here's the Dad sitting in the nest that Mom built!

Here's Mom looking kinda mad about having to build her own home,,,
I do feed them grape jelly in a bright red bowl that I’ve featured before that sits on the deck post directly in my line of sight when I'm at my computer.  Their songs are very distinctive and seeing them each year is a day brightener!!!

Life is good here in the country where I try to take advantage of every free moment!

Take care,

Bonnie

1 comment:

Mitzi said...

Baltimore orioles are so awesome! I'm a bird lover, and although we only have one tree in our front yard and one in our back yard, you wouldn't believe how much bird action we get! There's always something going on if you pay attention.