Monday, March 19, 2012

Sometimes You Just Can't - Even If You Want To...

After a few days of excitement and anticipation, I'm having a day of sadness.  I made plans to see if my Dad and I could go on an Honor Flight to Washington D.C.  with 100 other WWII vets.  Our applications were in and accepted, hotel reservations made, new walking shoes ordered, and all our relatives/friends notified of our adventure.  Dad was so excited - he said he felt like a kid.

Today I received an email from my Dad - he wasn't sure he had the strength to go.  We would have to stay in a hotel the night before our trip, early to the airport at 5 a.m., take off at 6 a.m., spend the day in Washington D.C.,  walk a total of two miles to see the WWII memorial, other memorials, Arlington Cemetery, (I would push him in a wheel chair), fly home returning at 10:30 p.m. and stay the night at the hotel before we drive home again.  I could hear the tremors in his voice.

He worried himself into thinking he couldn't handle it - he wouldn't be able to enjoy it - it was too much for him.  I respect his decision.  But I'm still sad...we would have been making such great memories.  He knows the other vets would be just as tired but he just couldn't do it.  Some of my sadness is because he's 88 and he's slowing down.  I'm scared. 

He edits his Marine Company newsletter with help from two amazing ladies in far away states.  He loves his gardens and they look much better than mine!  He loves his family and his gigantic orange cat.  He has a million stories.  He is my hero.

Take care,
Bonnie

No comments: