Sunday, October 30, 2011

Soup's On!!!

It's a gray day and it just called for soup.  I don't sleep continuously so on a forage through the kitchen at 1 a.m., I decided crackers were in order.  To my surprise I saw a soup recipe on the saltine box.  I love having an idea of what to cook when I wake up in the morning!

So here is my version of Hearty Hamburger Soup -

Ok - this isn't really my soup
 so picture Ditalini pasta mixed in the soup.
1# hamburger
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. olive oil
2 cans (14 oz. each) chicken broth
1 soup can water
1 can (15 oz.) black bean or beans of your choice, rinsed
1 can Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
1 cup Ditalini or pasta of your choice, uncooked
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional but good for you!)
½ cup mozzarella cheese or grated Parm cheese

Cook hamburger, onions, and garlic in oil in large saucepan 10 min. stirring frequently.
Add next 4 ingredients, Bring to boil.  Stir in pasta; cook 8 min. or until tender.  Remove from heat.
Top with cheese.  Serve with crackers.

Servings: 10

I froze a container for those days when I'm not in the mood to cook...probably won't stay in the freezer long.  It was hearty and a new comfort food for us.

Take care and for family and friends out West and East - stay warm and dry!  No snow here - yet!  Hope it waits until our Farmgirls Country Christmas Sale on November 11 and 12 is over.  Check out our Facebook page - Farmgirls Country Sale - for more details!


Bonnie 

No comments: